Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket

Friday, January 1, 2010

It was Five Years Ago Today

Pin It It was five years ago today that I first suspected that this little guy might be on the way.



I think I'll remember it forever.

Jim had to work late New Year's Eve, so I had planned a fun night with the girls. We were going to make English muffin pizzas and brownies, and I had rented The Princess Diaries. We were going to have popcorn, make our dinner, and watch our movie until Jim got home, at which time, we'd put Madelyn to bed (she was just three!) and take Gabbi out to watch fireworks.

We went to lunch on New Year's Eve, all four of us. I even remember where we went - Quizno's! I got some soup and looked at it and thought "I can't eat this!" Almost immediately I started feeling sick. Not morning sickness type sick, SICK type sick. Fever, chills, that sort of thing.

We went home after lunch and Jim went to work. I was planning to have a fun night still; Gabbi was six and knew that New Year's Eve was a special night. I kept feeling worse and worse and finally put the movie in early and camped out on the couch. I remember getting up to make their pizzas and watching the clock to count down the hours ... not until the new year, but until Jim would get home.

By the time he got home, I was probably as sick as I had ever been. Jim tried to get me to go to the ER and I didn't want to. New Year's Eve ... I imagined the ER wasn't a most pleasant place to be. I told him if I wasn't feeling better in the morning, then I'd go. I honestly have no idea what he and the girls did the rest of the night.

The next morning rolled around and I felt worse! Then the thought that I might be pregnant crossed my mind. Then it became a little more than a thought, almost a certainty. It was very early though, too early to test. No way was I going to risk going to the ER and have a doctor not listen to me and give me a medicine that would hurt the baby, that the more I thought about, I was SURE was there.

Thankfully, Dr. G's office was open the day after NYD, and he DID listen to me when I told him I thought it was too early for me to test, but that I also thought I was pregnant. And I was RIGHT!

I don't have "I remember when I first thought I was pregnant with you ..." stories for the girls. A New Year's can't go by without me thinking about Brendan's story though! (And then a few days later, hearing that the Lord had prepared a buddy for him, even from the womb!)

hm ... it was also while recovering from this sickness that Madelyn found the scissors ... and to this day proclaims that "Ms. Micah made me look like a boy!" but that's another story for another day!

Happy New Year, friends!

3 comments:

Micah said...

lol I love this story.. all except for that horrible TALE at teh very end.
LOL
AND I didn't realize P knew before I did!

melanie said...

Well, he didn't KNOW know. He just believed me when I said I thought I was. Or maybe he thought I was crazy or delirious and just went along. LOL

Tonya @ The Traveling Praters said...

What a sweet story and cute little boy! Loved the picture!:)