Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Feeding My Children Moldy Bread

Pin It I know this is not news to anyone, but it's tough raising godly children in our world. I suspect that it has been tough raising godly children in ANY world. No matter the outside pressures, the inside nature is still sinful, and in our house, lazy.

We are in a place where my kids are exposed to more culture and media than ever before, particularly my oldest. So now we're faced with choices daily as to what's appropriate and what's not. And I do mean daily. Songs, youtube videos, books, tv shows, movies, magazines ... constant bombardment.

As much as I would like to put my children in a box and only allow the things of which I approve to enter that box, I'm finding that, as great as that strategy sounds, it isn't really possible. They live in the world and are exposed to the world. Plus, how can I teach them to be discerning if I am that much in control of their environment?

So, there's a line to walk here.

I remember a friend had an analogy about eating bread with mold on it. The mold being the negative influences in our lives. How much mold is allowed on bread we eat? If you want a sandwich and the only bread is just a bit moldy, do you try to pick it off and eat the bread anyway or give up on having a sandwich?

I'm not entirely sure what the answer is. I know we have allowed a little mold into our children's diets. Of course I would prefer not to, but truth be told, I've let a little mold into my diet as well. Sometimes even putting jam on that bread and enjoying it. Every now and then even going back for seconds.

I don't WANT to eat moldy bread and I certainly don't want to feed them moldy bread, but sometimes it tastes good, and everyone else is eating moldy bread. Romans 7, anyone?

This is another area where I don't have a ton of wisdom. I am praying for discernment for me, and for my children, and for grace when a little mold seeps in.

If you have any wisdom here, please feel free to share with the class! And, please continue to enter the Same Kind of Different As Me giveaway; it's the post below this one.

3 comments:

Penny Layne said...

Thank you for that post. I think this is something everyone struggles with at some point. It is many times too easy to let the "moldy bread" into our lives, and once we do it can be hard to let it go.

Mommy Kerin said...

I too find daily struggles like you are facing. I think it is hardly to be a parent in the modern world than say it was for parents of earlier generations. There are just so many sinful things for people to get into. I am shocked daily by the smut on TV. X-rated ads during the day even instead of just late at night (which I think is bad enough). Profanity and violence in daytime television. There are even some adult related content placed in children's programming. Sure, it's things only the parents would get but still. Recently had a problem with my S/O getting into things he should not be viewing on Youtube. I wasn't aware things like that could even be found on there. It's just such a sin filled world.

Becky said...

I hear ya. Where the Lord has brought me on this is to asking the question "IS the bread really moldy? If I think it is, WHY do I think it is?" Have I defined mold by someone's expectation, opinion, what is acceptable in my peer group, or have I actually talked with God about it and sought His answer? And if I have and it is mold, I shouldn't eat it. But if I have and He has told me it is clean, I believe it and eat the bread. Now, if I'm eating with someone who really is getting grossed out because they honestly believe that my clean bread is moldy, I'll wait to eat until I get home - or eat something mutually agreeable so as not to spoil their meal. Personally, though, I won't lie about the fact that I'd eat it at home; I just won't actually do it in front of them because it causes offense. Guess it all boils down to Romans 14 for me.