Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

What's for Dinner?

Pin It This will never be a recipe or cooking blog. Ever. I do enjoy cooking and like to try new things, but I get the things I try from other cooking blogs and feel no need to post recipes or cooking tips.

Unless!

Every now and then I try something that everybody loves. It's somewhat rare for EVERYBODY to love the same meal around here. We don't have picky eaters really (thank heavens, and God bless those of you who do!) but still it's rare for everyone to love and request something.

Even more rare for everyone to request something that is easy to make.

Even more rare for them to request soup when it's 97 degrees out.

So that is why I'm sharing this recipe with you! I found it on the Big Mama blog, but I'm not digging through her archives to find it. She has a great blog, so go spend some time over there and get ready to giggle! But do it while this soup is cooking:

(Oh, and I changed a few things here and there. The basic recipe is the same though!)

Tortilla Soup

You'll need:
6 corn tortillas cut into squares - I think I cut each one into about 16 squares
3 tablespoons olive oil
5-6 tablespoons cilantro
1-2 cloves minced garlic
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons chili powder

Heat the olive oil then toss all of that in and saute it for a couple of minutes. The tortillas will get nice and brown.

Then add:
29 ounces tomato puree
2 quarts chicken stock
1 chopped onion
1-2 cups cooked chicken, chopped

Simmer these together for about 15-20 minutes, or longer, but the tortillas kind of start falling apart. It tastes the same if they're whole or fall apart, so I usually let it simmer a while longer.

We top it with sour cream, Monterrey Jack cheese, and fried corn tortilla strips. It makes a lot, and freezes pretty well. I made this Sunday night for my family of five. We also had it Monday for lunch, and there are 2-3 servings left.

Let me know if you try it! It is so easy and so yummy!

2 comments:

Mommy Kerin said...

That sounds really really good! We will be trying it. I'll let you know how it goes :)

meltedlikewaxps97_5 said...

I have copied and printed the recipe. I will be trying it very soon. :) I think you have given me this recipe once before, but that was when I was in the dark ages with computers and the file is sadly lost forever. Today is the dawn of a new day! ;)

I'll LYK how it goes. Thanks for sharing.
-Renee