I woke up today wanting to complain. Loudly. To ANYONE who might be willing to listen. There were things I wanted to do today. Plans interrupted. Sickness. Grumpiness. I usually schedule blog posts in advance and didn't have one today, and was going to jump on here and dump out my long list of complaints. Because venting is good for the soul, right? Well, maybe. Depends on what the vent is, and I suspect that none of the whining and complaining that I wanted to dump out is good for the soul, neither mine nor yours. I promise you, it would not bless your day in any way to hear my list of complaints.
I've considered starting this list for a while now and just haven't done it yet. Today is the day.
Are you familiar with Ann Voskamp's blog A Holy Experience? (If you're not, you should be. What an amazing blessing!) She has a Gratitude Community where she encourages us to give thanks for 1000 graces. You just list a few at a time, here and there, and are reminded that even when you have a raging UTI, there is so much for which to be thankful.
So, I would like to get started right now.
1. Having a husband with ample sick time who can come home when I call and say I need him to.
2. My sweet oldest child who has become such a responsible young lady. She just steps in, usually without complaining and arguing, when I need her to.
3. My sweet middle child, who last night went above and beyond the call of duty in entertaining a visitor and keeping her happy.
4. My sweet baby, who recovered from his tonsillectomy very quickly, and who tells me not to tell daddy, but he loves me best.
5. My parents, who are going through some serious trials right now but always take the time to encourage me. (Pray that I can be an equal encouragement to them!)
6. The friends I have. When Jim and I got married and moved, we were in a very lonely place where I had no friends. I prayed that the Lord would give me some friends. Then we moved here, and He said YES. Abundantly yes. In the last week, I had a friend diet with me, cry with me, make a meal for me, and one even offered to strangle a dog for me. Now THAT's some friendship right there. (Put down the phone ... the dog is still there, yapping away as I type!) :-P
7. Sonic Happy Hour, and unsweet tea with raspberry. Hey, we have to be thankful for the little things as well, right?
8. Pyridium. If you know what it is, you know what it does. And I'm thankful for it. And if you know what it is and what it does, you are thankful for it as well, I'm sure.
9. The fact that Brendan loves preschool so much that he insisted upon going even when I knew he wasn't feeling well (surgery recovery.) I'm thankful for his teacher who is teaching him so much and making him love it!
10. Fall arrived!! I guess it blew in yesterday! Woot!!
Stay tuned ... I'll add to the list weekly. :) If you're interested in joining in, click on the links at the beginning and jump right in. I'd love to hear your 1000 Graces!