Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Contentment and Camera Lenses

Pin It I know you are all waiting with bated breath. The camera lens!! Did she buy it or did she not?

Well, the suspense ends here, friends.

On Friday, I spent some time perusing Amazon. (Really, there would be much more money around here if Amazon happened to be blocked from my computer!) The lens has been in my cart for a while now - that's what I do. I spend time on Amazon and fill up my cart so I have this wish list floating around for a while.

(Note - if you're ever tempted to do this -- learn from me -- DO NOT USE ONE CLICK SHOPPING!! Not only will you buy what you intended to buy, you will also buy whatever else is in your cart. If you do not pay attention to your cart or emails from amazon, things you didn't REALLY intend to buy yet will show up on your doorstep, and charges for these things will show up in your bank statement. This, of course, has NEVER happened to me .... oh yeah, it's not "not me Monday" ... )

Okay, so there were a couple of things that I needed from Amazon on Friday, so I was legitimately shopping. And the lens was already in my cart. I looked at it ... went back and forth ... and left it in there and hit check out. Got all the way to the last step and decided to look at it again to compare it to the lenses I already have. It really is the exact same as one lens I have, with the exception of the image stabilizer. Same speed, same zoom, same everything except for that one little thing. So then the whole thing started over again ... yes or no ... it's not a cheap lens but it's not all that expensive either. I love the IS on my real zoom lens ... but my real zoom lens is sufficient for most of the pics I'd want to take that NEED IS.

So I walked away and left my cart open.

But then I realized that I needed the OTHER things in my cart. (Okay, well, NEED might be a bit of a stretch for a couple of the items in there ...)

A novel idea ...

I prayed for direction. Should I be happy with what I have, or is this a justifiable splurge?

Ultimately, I decided to be content with what I have. There is *nothing* wrong with it.

All this is not to say that it would have been wrong to buy the lens. It my situation, I think it would have been wrong to buy it now because with all the hemming and hawing, I believe I was being directed to not buy it now. I don't know if the answer is wait or no, but it doesn't matter right now. I think for right now, I'm supposed to want what I have.

So, that's the story of the lens. :) I don't think most areas of contentment struggles will be as easy as this one (although this wasn't exactly easy) but maybe the Lord is working gently with me on the smaller things before tackling the bigger things!

No comments: