Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Two Recipes

Pin It I know I've said before that this is not and never will be a cooking blog.  Every now and then though, I make something that causes the children to arise and call me blessed.  Since they usually arise and grumble under their breath at me, I have to celebrate these moments.  Monday and/or Tuesday nights are casserole nights around here.  (Sometimes Tuesdays are Chick-Fil-A nights.  Family night and all.  Anytime I can feed the four of us - Jim works late on Tuesdays - on $7, I must take advantage.  Often.)

But I digress.

This Tuesday night, it was casserole night.  I'm a big fan of The Food Network, and I saw a recipe on there that I just had to try.  It came from The Neely's.  Cornbread Stuffing with Apples and Sausage.

Oh my heavens at the yummy goodness.


Ingredients

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 pound Italian sausage, casing removed
  • 1 medium onions, chopped
  • 2 stalks celery, chopped
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and chopped coarsely
  • 1 teaspoon freshly minced thyme leaves
  • 1 teaspoon freshly chopped sage leaves
  • 1/2 cup bourbon
  • 1 1/4 pounds cubed and dried cornbread stuffing, store-bought
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
  • 2 cups turkey or low-sodium chicken stock
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in 12-inch skillet.
Cook sausage for 5 to 7 minutes until browned. Add onions and celery and saute until softened. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Mix in apples, thyme and sage and saute for another 2 minutes. Add bourbon. *Cook's Note: When adding alcohol take pan off flame. Allow to simmer until bourbon is almost evaporated; 1 to 2 minutes.
In a large bowl, add cornbread stuffing, parsley, chicken stock, eggs and pecans. Mix well. Mix in vegetable mixture to bowl. Combine and stir well together. Add to a large casserole dish and bake for 30 minutes. 

I did make a couple of modifications.  I left out the bourbon and used chicken stock in it's place.  I also left out the pecans because I'm not a fan.  I used dried seasoning except the parsley because I had that fresh in the fridge.  Then I ended up leaving out the sage because I'm guessing it didn't survive the great pantry cleanout of 2010.  I couldn't find it anyway, and didn't want to go to the store.  I might add another apple next time I make it.

This really was SO good.  The kids even loved it!  Even the little one!  It is on my menu to make again soon.  We even ate up the leftovers.  It really was THAT good.

And then ... to complete the meal, we made Crockpot Pumpkin Pie Pudding.

Ingredients:

  • 1 (15 ounce) can solid pack pumpkin
  • 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup Bisquick
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 2 tablespoons butter (melted)
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • whipped topping (optional)

Directions:

  1. In a large bowl mix together the first eight ingredients.
  2. Transfer to crock pot coated with Pam.
  3. Cover and cook on low 6-7 hours.
  4. Serve in bowls with whip cream, if desired.

Again with the deliciousness!  Both were so easy and were so yummy.  The kids ate it all very happily.  As an added benefit, the cooking pumpkin made the house smell so yummy.  The stuffing made a whole lot and could easily be halved, or split into two and half frozen. 

Try these today!

No comments: