Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Week in Review - Weeks 4, 5, 6, 7 ... the Oldest

Pin It Seriously?  I haven't done a weekly wrap-up since week 3?  Oh my.

(I realized this is likely to be a long post if I put all three kids in it, so I'll do each kid in a separate post.  LOL ... nothing like no blog posts for a month, and then ten in a day, right?)

We are continuing to love, love, love Heart of Dakota for all three kids.  (Oldest is doing Resurrection to Reformation, Middle is doing Preparing Hearts for His Glory, Little is doing Little Hearts for His Glory.)  We have figured out a basic schedule so each child has me with them when they need me, and the other two are staying (mostly) out of each other's hair when I'm busy.  I think this has been the hardest part of the year.  We seem to have finally settled into a schedule routine that is working though.  That schedule I posted a couple of months ago?  ha.  Nice idea, but most of it has gone by the wayside.  I will try to update it and post that soon.

The Oldest:
She is getting close to finishing Texas History, and we are all happy about that.  I knew she wasn't going to love doing it in the format I had chosen, but she is also getting it at co-op, and with the time constraints of schooling three, and my personal ... ahem ... notsomuch enjoyment of history, we're making the best of what we have.  Since the middle one is also getting it at co-op, I plan to add this book to our read-aloud list:
In Math, I am happy to report that she has about 20 lessons left to finish 7th grade Teaching Textbooks math.  Maybe a few less than that.  She will be done right around Thanksgiving.  We will go directly into 8th grade at that point.  I'll probably just let her take the quizzes for the first couple of review chapters and see if we can get her on track for finishing by May.  That may or may not happen, but it's okay.  She is doing well in math and working hard, so I'm pleased.

We are both enjoying IEW for writing, and she is moving right along with it.  Nothing to really add about that. 

Everything else she does is from Heart of Dakota.  (She will be starting English/Grammar when she finishes Texas History since both are one semester classes.)
We finished Mystery of the Silver Coins as a read aloud.



This was an enjoyable read!  We're actually wanting other books in the series because it left us with a bit of a cliffhanger.






In History, she has gone through Attila the Hun, to Theordoric, to Clovis, to St. Patrick, to Benedict and Gregory the Great, then to Boniface, Justinian, Mohammed, Charles Martel and the Moors, to Charlemagne, and Julius Caesar was just introduced.  As she's reading and learning about these people, she is doing geography that goes along with it.  She has read From Bondage to Freedom: A Tale of the Times of Mohammed, and has started Black Horses for the King.

She is still quite enjoying the Shakespeare study, finishing up A Midsummer Night's Dream, doing Winter's Tale, and then starting Much Ado About Nothing.  (She is reading overviews of these plays, not the actual plays.) 

In science, she is still doing Astronomy.  This is going to bridge into physical science pretty quickly, and I think she is quite happy about that.  :)

She is also studying through the book of Philippians this year, and the book Beautiful Girlhood. 

I think that's it for her overview.  I will get motivated to take some pictures of some of the things she has done soon.

I will write up posts for the middle one and little one shortly.  :)

No comments: